Monday, May 27, 2013

Being Pretty Ain't Pretty



It's probably been a year or so ago when someone posted a pic of me on Facebook and I'm like OMFG WTF is that??! So this is what people are talking about when they say someone is "a little too secure in a relationship." It wasn't even that so much as I guess I'd just lost myself in other things, like buying a house and remodeling it. I had put all my focus into my home and pretty much just let myself completely go. I've never really been a girly girl or focused too much on my appearance; I was just lucky enough to have a high metabolism and never have to worry about it. Just ask my sister-in-law, who is also my hairdresser, I had NEVER fixed my hair a day in my life or owned any type of hair product other than shampoo. After seeing this tragic pic of myself online for everyone to see, however, I decided it was time to start.

EXERCISE: the most dreaded word in the English language. I have always had a fear of physical activity, dating all the way back to grade school when I would get Dr's excuses to sit out in PE class. Since I could hardly walk to my mailbox and back without getting winded, I figured it was time to run off some ass. So that's what I did. I formed a running posse and we started hitting the pavement regularly. We also started going to the weight room, riding bikes, and doing P90x and other workout DVDs in the basement of a friend's house. Although I'd still rather be lifting beer bottles than weights, I confess it really isn't so bad after all. And the bonus: working out actually WORKS! Who knew?!

With the exercising underway it was time to turn my attention elsewhere. I had NO IDEA there was so much involved in being a girl. It truly is exhausting! Between tanning, flossing, whitening, exfoliating, filing, shaping, moisturizing, bleaching, waxing, tweezing, highlighting,  conditioning...who has time to eat, breathe, or sleep? While it's safe to say I'll never be a girls girl, I am putting forth some effort to look presentable in public. It's definitely not an everyday effort because I sure the hell don't intend on wasting my time looking good at work. Besides, I need to blend in well when I'm there for my own personal safety. I have also come to terms with the fact that I will never be a boy, as much as I have hoped and prayed to be since I was five. I'm just taking it one day at a time, making healthier choices, being the best ME I can be, and hopefully not looking completely unfortunate in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment