Monday, February 28, 2011

Meth and The City




As I sit down to my laptop today I feel like a sassy Carrie Bradshaw about to reflect on the day's glamourous happenings in the city. Sadly though there is nothing glamourous about Terre Haute. In fact, there is nothing even pleasant about Terre Haute. For those of you not familiar with the area, it is a stinking has-been city on a dirty river. You may assume the dreadful smell I'm referring to is somehow related to the abundance of meth labs and addicts that populate the street but the smell is actually attributed to the town's paper plant and water treatment facility. If you think I am exaggerating the city is even dubbed "The Dirty Haute" on the Wikipedia website.

So why is Terre Haute so dirty? Well I would say meth is about 90% to blame. When you try to research meth statistics in Terre Haute you find none. What does this say about the problem? There is no money or effort being put into combating it by the state government. The only information found online is the number of meth lab busts in the state with Vigo County ranking second highest in 2010. WTHI online recently covered the story of a new proposed bill to make pseudoephedrine products prescription only. This of course received no welcoming by either the state or the local community. I actually read the comments posted on Facebook representing public opinion on the issue. The public's major concern is still first and foremost their allergy symptoms. This is sad to me because for most of these people a problem that is out of sight is out of mind. Unfortunately for me the problem is constantly on my mind, tormenting me and driving me to the edge of my sanity. The problem is so much on my mind that I feel the need to blog about it on my day off from dealing with it directly. Please Vigo County hear me when I say that although I dearly sympathize with your sinus problems and respect your personal opinion YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Until the community is unified in fighting this problem it will only escalate and become worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment