Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Tribute to Black Beauty


I've recently been car shopping. Not because I want to. Not because I don't have the most badass car in the world already and am giving up on her after all the miles she has carried me. No, I am car shopping because Black Beauty has come to the end of her long, blessed life and the time has come to replace her.

Imagine a ten year old car, the size of a wagon, with the trunk smashed in and a missing front grille. Imagine a few dents and scratches here and there on the gorgeous paint job, and bright, clear untinted windows in which you can see right through to the immaculate interior. Now imagine a young girl inside cruising through the parking lot of the most upscale shopping mall in all of South Florida.

Exiting the mall are two young men, possibly the Situation and his wannabe friend, carrying Abercrombie & Fitch shopping bags. They immediately point and burst into laughter. Lucky for me I had two fingers for the both of them.

If I had to guess their cars probably haven't treached through a blizzard on the way to Spring Break in PCB (ya that's right, a blizzard during Spring Break), made the ultimate roadtrip down Route 66 from St. Louis, Missouri to Flagstaff, Arizona, or carried them, along with all their belongings, on a journey 20hours away from home. Ahh you see, these are the things that give a car character. If I wanted to look like a member of the Secret Service, I'd buy a car like everyone else is driving in Florida. This is my mid-life crisis however, and I want something different. I want something completely impractical and ridiculous. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment